I am a Mormon Forum

Welcome to our forum which is open to everyone that wishes to discuss or share experiences on how to grow closer to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

You can also learn about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (aka Mormons).

Please login or register (for free) and enjoy the forum.
I am a Mormon Forum

Welcome to our forum which is open to everyone that wishes to discuss or share experiences on how to grow closer to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

You can also learn about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (aka Mormons).

Please login or register (for free) and enjoy the forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to our forum where everyone is welcome to discuss how to grow closer to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ while learning about the LDS Church. So please share your thoughts and experiences to all. This is not an official web site of the LDS Church.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Plural Marriage and the LDS

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
CarrieAnne
Member Wooden
Member Wooden
CarrieAnne

Plural Marriage and the LDS Empty
PostSubject: Plural Marriage and the LDS   Plural Marriage and the LDS EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 11:56 pm

I have seen a number of sensational news stories about fundamentalist Mormon communities that practice plural marriage. These shows never seem to explain the LDS position very clearly, so I was hoping you could clarify a few things for me.

I am under the impression that early in the history of the Mormon Church some members practiced polygyny (referred to as plural marriage), and that this practice was approved of and/or sanctioned by Church leaders. Did the Church ever practice plural marriage, and why?

At some point the practice was officially discontinued and members who do it face excommunication. I believe a major driving force behind this change was conflict with the US government. What other reasons if any were a force behind the change.

Finally, a number of fundamentalist split from the Church over this issue. They follow their own prophets and worship in their own communities separate from the official LDS Church. Is plural marriage the only reason for the fundamentalist split, or are their other issues these groups have with the LDS Church?

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
christine Beaulieu
Member Wooden
Member Wooden
christine Beaulieu

PostSubject: Re: Plural Marriage and the LDS   Plural Marriage and the LDS EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 11:09 am

I think this is a question that is many more people are wondering about since all of the more recent publicity in the media on it.

I pulled a quote from LDS.org by another member named Ryan

"Do Mormons practice polygamy?

No, Mormons do not practice polygamy. However, the practice of polygamy was instituted by God in the days of the early prophets, like Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. God is not changing, therefore His practices are not wrong just because society deems them as such.

When the earlier members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were given the principle of polygamy, it was a calling of God. It tested the faith of the men and women who were accustomed to a different way of life. Polygamy was practiced for several decades until the United States passed a law outlawing its practice.

Rather than allow the leaders and members of the Church to be carted off to jail, as they were willing to do for the Lord, the revelation came to the prophet to withdraw the practice of polygamy. As members of this Church, we believe in being subject to the rulers of a country, and therefore we abide the law of the land.

Therefore, ever since 1890 at the latest, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not practice polygamy, nor permit its members to practice it. Any cults or factions that do-so, wicked men who seek their own interests, are not affiliated with this Church, nor permitted to be a member thereof. "

As for me I have ansestors that were polygamists, but not all of them. In their journals it appears that they were invited by church leaders to live this instituion but they always had a choice and there were some of my family members that chose not to practice it.

It took faith to live it and it took faith to stop living it when it was discontinued by the prophet to adhere to the law. From my understanding the "fundamentalist mormon" groups who still practice it split off from the church back when polygamy was discontinued. Their group is a different religion just like the Protestant religions are different from Catholicism.
Back to top Go down
GeoRioux
Administrator Wooden
Administrator Wooden
GeoRioux

PostSubject: Re: Plural Marriage and the LDS   Plural Marriage and the LDS EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 1:19 am

Ok, so with Christine again giving so much great information, I hope that I just don't mess everything up with my explanation.

This took me awhile to answer you since I have not really thought about this question, since I have never been asked myself nor has it ever been an issue for me since we don't practice it. Not only that but to put a bit of humor in it (you know how I am Carrie), my wife can barley keep me inline, why in the world would she want to keep another one in line at the same time Smile.

Well anyhow here is my explanation of it (with lots of studying and searching both on the internet and in praying):

Marriage in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is sacred and ordained of God. The family is the basic social unit in this life and in the next. The social, emotional, and spiritual health of all family members was (in the 19th century) and is today the primary concern of every Latter-day Saint mother and father.

Polygamy or as you have correctly stated Carrie- polygyny, is the marriage of more than one woman to the same man. It was an important part of the teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) for a half-century.

Joseph Smith (Church Founder) in 1831, made a prayerful inquiry about the ancient Old Testament practice of plural marriage. (See Genesis 16:1-3; 29:23–30; 30:4, 9; Judges 8:30; 1 Samuel 1:1–2). This resulted in the divine instruction to re-institute the practice as a religious principle.

After God revealed the doctrine of plural marriage to Joseph Smith in 1831 and commanded him to live it, the Prophet, over a period of years, cautiously taught the doctrine to some close associates. Eventually, he and a small number of Church leaders entered into plural marriages in the early years of the Church.

Those who did practice plural marriage at that time, both male and female, experienced a significant trial of their faith. The practice was so foreign to them that they needed and received personal inspiration from God to help them obey the commandment. More Latter-day Saints entered into plural marriages when the Saints moved west under the direction of Brigham Young.

Beginning in 1862, influenced by rumors and exaggerated reports, the United States Congress, enacted a series of laws against polygamy that became increasingly harsh. By the 1880s many Latter-day Saint men were imprisoned or went into hiding.

In 1889 Wilford Woodruff, President of the Church at the time, in the face of increasing hardships and the threat of government confiscation of Church property, including temples, prayed for guidance.

He was inspired to issue a document called the Manifesto that officially ended the sanction of plural marriage by the Church. The The Manifesto, was accepted by Church members in a general conference held in October 1890 and is published in the Doctrine and Covenants as Offical Declaration 1.

Now you have to understand Carrie, that just as the practice of plural marriage among the Latter-day Saints began gradually, the ending of the practice after was also gradual. Some plural marriages were performed after the Manifesto, particularly in Mexico and Canada but in 1904, President Joseph F. Smith called for a vote from the Church membership that all post-Manifesto plural marriages be prohibited worldwide.

As for the FLDS (Fundamentalist Mormons), they as others have stated before me are in no way affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The reasoning behind why they still practice this is of their own choice and unfortunately going against what we believe to be wrong, but also against the law. With the misunderstanding that "Mormon" — widely understood to be a nickname for Latter-day Saints — is sometimes misleadingly applied to them.

More recently, President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910-2008) reiterated that plural marriage is “against the law of God. Even in countries where civil or religious law allows [the practice of a man having more than one wife], the Church teaches that marriage must be monogamous and does not accept into its membership those practicing plural marriage”

Here is a direct quote from President Hinckley: (General Conference October 1998)

“I wish to state categorically that this Church has nothing whatever to do with those practicing polygamy. They are not members of this Church. Most of them have never been members. They are in violation of the civil law. They know they are in violation of the law. They are subject to its penalties. The Church, of course, has no jurisdiction whatever in this matter.

"If any of our members are found to be practicing plural marriage, they are excommunicated, the most serious penalty the Church can impose. Not only are those so involved in direct violation of the civil law, they are in violation of the law of this Church. An article of our faith is binding upon us. It states, 'We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law' (Articles of Faith 1:12).”

The reason why he needed to bring this up is to let the people of the world know that what they have been hearing about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, or to how he put it, what others are saying about us, is false and incorrect.

Carrie, I know that was a lot to read and take in, but the simple was to find out if the things that you are reading are true, is to pray to Heavenly Father and He will answer you for those things that you desire to know.

You are always welcome to attend any of church buildings, where you are always welcome and join us and see what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints can truly offer you. You can read,listen,watch news or rely on what others may say about the Church, but to know, really know, you have to come and see for yourself.

If you have any other questions, please let us know. We are happy that you are come here and have a desire and confidence to ask these questions.

Thanks

GeoRioux
Back to top Go down
CarrieAnne
Member Wooden
Member Wooden
CarrieAnne

PostSubject: Re: Plural Marriage and the LDS   Plural Marriage and the LDS EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 4:01 am

Thank you very much. I did try to do some reading into this, and what I did not see was an answer to why the practice was implemented in the first place. As you suggested Geo, it seems like polygamy (though it is by far the most common form of marriage in the world) would have been a very uncomfortable practice for anyone from a Western European culture. However, it does makes sense that such a practice would be adopted in a faith that, as I understand it, tries to adhere as closely as possible to early Christan teachings (a time when polygamy was even more common). Though it can't have been an easy choice to adopt it. I also am under the impression that the practice was not wide spread even when it was sanctioned which attest to it's value in the Church as a test of faith.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plural Marriage and the LDS   Plural Marriage and the LDS Empty

Back to top Go down

Plural Marriage and the LDS
Page 1 of 1